Every website is unique, from trendy sites that include: animation, product search, 360 degree product views, and short product videos. No matter how trendy your site may be your overall goal is to convert browsers to Customers. There are certain elements that every e-commerce site should have to stay relevant and competitive. Here is a list of 12 must-have features that attract and keep online shoppers.
- Easy To Use: The objective is to help shoppers get to what they want, faster and without running into unnecessary complexity that can clog up the path to purchase.
- High Resolution Photos: Images sell, not text. E-commerce websites should display multiple photos per product. The photos need to be high-resolution and optimized for page load.
- Mobile Friendly: With a responsive website, content intuitively adapts to whatever device is accessing it to provide the most user-friendly experience.
- User Reviews: Shoppers read reviews. About 92% of them, in fact. The star rating on a product is the number one factor used by consumers.
- Special Offers: When shoppers realize they’re getting a special deal, it motivates them to buy more and spend more time searching the site.
- Find-In-Store: Not all e-commerce sites have brick and mortar stores. However, those that do must have a find-in-store feature. Sometimes you don’t want to wait for an item to ship. Instant gratification.Shoppers are going online just to research and then complete the purchase in person.
- Related Items: Simply seeing the phrase, “you might like this” causes a serotonin release signaling curiosity and excitement. When an online seller uses a related items feature to sell more, it’s actually signaling to the buyer that “they get me”.
- FAQ’s: Complex purchases require confidence with a seller and detailed information when buying products online versus face-to-face. FAQ sections also provide a self-help area to address common customer problems. Buyers often ask about product support, returns, lost account passwords, etc.
- Social Media Connection: Social media allows e-commerce brands to show authenticity and associate an emotional connection with their products. Social connection is undeniable and the opportunity to bond with an audience is easier now than ever. Linking social profiles and user-generated content with an e-commerce site are must-have features that will give online sellers brand character.
- Detailed Shipping: Alarmingly, unexpected shipping costs are the number one reason for shopping cart abandonment. It’s critical that e-commerce websites include shipping information early in the checkout process, including a zip code calculator showing cost. Shoppers spend 30% more per order when free shipping is included.
- Return Policy: Return policies are an essential feature of any e-commerce website. A return policy should be clearly visible and well-written or illustrated. This is another trust-building feature of online selling.